Adam Stacey, executive chef, left, and Scott Freitas, master brewer, for Latitude 42 Brewing Company.
Carrie Heath, left, Sydney Hill, and Andy Peninger are Kzoo Uncaged Erik Holladay
Hannah Lane-Davies is one of the creators of Little Free Library Erik Holladay
Before we get too far into the new year it's fun to take a look back and see what feature stories Southwest Michigan's Second Wave readers liked best in the preceding year.
We were surprised to see the best read feature story of 2013 actually was one from 2012. People continue to be fascinated with the story: "What can you buy with bitcoins?"
Of those written in 2013, stories about places to eat and drink were favorites. So were stories about good ideas that people are putting into practice, one of our favorite topics to feature in Second Wave.
2013 was a great year for this little online magazine. Our readership continues to climb as more and more people find us and share our stories. (We encourage sharing!) As we get ready to go into our fourth year of publication here is our list of the top 10 stories for 2013.
10. Deerings get help to lighten the load of festival refuse that's landfill bound
9. Kalamazoo's bakeries are the frosting on the cake
8. One-of-a-kind jams, foraged foods keep elder fires burning
7. Keeping kids out of trouble by making truffles
6. Harnessing the Future
5. Little free libraries: Take a book, leave a book
4. Kzoo Uncaged tells the stories of the people who make Kalamazoo better
3. Rupert's Brew House a place for new favorites and old standbys
2. Latitude 42 hops forward with Portage's first microbrewery
1. Music changes young lives, one note at a time, with Kids in Tune
From our development news department the top stories were:
5. Down Dog Yoga Center coming soon to downtown Kalamazoo
4. London Grill's new management introduces new menu
3. Kalamazoo Nature Center expands facilities for educational programs
2. Gonzo's BiggDogg Brewing Co. to have 8,000-square-foot brew house, plus tap house
And the best-read Second Wave story written in 2013:
1. Cosma Casting Michigan to bring 572 jobs to Battle Creek
Compiled by Kathy Jennings, Managing Editor Southwest Michigan's Second Wave with help from Google Analytics
Enjoy this story? Sign up
for free solutions-based reporting in your inbox each week.