Detroit and the Colorado "balloon boy"
have one thing in common: The media is all over both, and they won't drop the story.
at least we give a hoot about the Detroit stories. But is the whole
message getting out? And while the old guard is taking notice, does new
media matter more in getting the right messages out there?
the next Model D Speaker Series, Nov. 12, we're bringing in local
writers, bloggers, journalists and media types to talk about the
The panel will include:
- Darrell Dawsey, blogger for TIME magazine's "Assignment Detroit" project
- Oneita Jackson, writer of the O Street blog for the Detroit Free Press
- Jim Griffioen, a Detroit resident and photographer/writer for his Sweet Juniper! blog
- Toby Barlow, Detroiter, ad man, novelist, and columnist for the New York Times and Huffington Post
- Marge Sorge, executive director of the Detroit Regional News Hub
- And moderator Jim Boyle, Detroitophile, writer, and vice president of integrated marketing with Detroit firm Lovio George.
The event starts at 5:30 p.m. Nov. 12 at the Majestic Theater
in Midtown. The hour-long program starts at 6 p.m. It is free, but you
must sign up in advance. After the panel, a party to kick off Model D's
upcoming redesign will follow in the newly remodeled Majestic Cafe. Send questions here
The monthly Model D Speaker Series is sponsored by the Michigan State Housing Development Authority
, Henry Ford Health Systems, Wayne State University
and the Detroit Medical Center.