The new season is coming to St. Joseph in a big way with the kickoff of the first Spring Into Michigan celebration that highlights speakers, chefs, adventurers, authors and artists.
The six-week celebration of culinary offerings that are not just local, but mircro-regional, described as cuisine from the immediate environment.
Like what? Think locally spring-fed "land raised" Coho salmon. Think organically grown and local farm cuts of meat and meat cured in house. Wild morel mushrooms and Michigan’s spring asparagus. (The usual offerings at Plank's also will be available.)
The celebration will be a chance to explore the tastes of lakeshore boutique wineries, micro craft-breweries and micro spirits-distillers, who are making rye whiskies, vodkas from grapes, and even bacon cured rums.
Following an inaugural kick-off reception at The Inn at Harbor Shores on April 17 at 4 p.m., each week boasts programs and events open to the public and welcoming all ages, including:
• April 17: Spring into Michigan Kick off and Open House.
• Ongoing--Spring into Michigan menu in Plank’s.
• Ongoing--Art exhibit entitled Spawned by the Great Lakes; etchings from the watersheds of Michigan by Ladislav Hanka and sculptures by Jana Hanka.
• April 23--Wine and Swine Dinner featuring local farmers organically fed livestock from Benton Harbor’s 1936 Meadowbrook Farm.
• April 24--Creations with House Paint; A day of painting with Michigan Artist, Kristin Hosbein
• April 2--Made in the Mitten: Savoring Michigan’s Rich Foodie and Agricultural History. Hosted by Promote Michigan’s Dianna Stampfler, Made in MI food samples provided.
• April 29--Nature Bird Walk with Sarett Nature Center.
• April 30--Small Plates and Local Micro Distillery Spirit Tasting.
• May 1--Gesture Drawings; Sit for a Sketch with local Michigan Artist, Kristin Hosbein.
• May 2--Fly Fishing Great Lakes Salmon and Trout symposium by Angler, Author, and Outdoorsman, Matt Supinski.
• May 7--Morel Mushroom Risotto Demo- Chef Will Jachim, Plank’s.
• May 8--Department of Natural Resources Michigan and Indiana Kicks off the St. Joseph Summer Challenge Fishing Tournament.
• May 9--Jean Klock Park Beach Wellness Workouts benefitting overall wellness and your golf swing, by former triathlete and Beyond Fitness Founder, Vikki Armstrong.
• May 11--May 15: Michigan Craft Week--Featuring daily craft beer and micro-distillery specials from Michigan.
• May 15--The Inn at Harbor Shores Celebrates its 1 year birthday with harbor fireworks and live music.
• May 15--Art exhibit closing celebration titled Spawned by the Great Lakes
; etchings from the watersheds of Michigan by Ladislav Hanka and sculptures by Jana Hanka.
• May 21--Host like a Chef: Charcuterie demonstration by Mike DeSchaaf 1936 Meadowbrook Farm.
For more details on the events, please click here.
Source: Brianne Schmidke, Inn at Harbor Shores
Enjoy this story? Sign up
for free solutions-based reporting in your inbox each week.