Work on new North Quad dorm begins, Frieze Building to be demolished

"...All in all it's just another brick in the wall..."

The University of Michigan says it's out with the old and in with the new as the last remains of the Frieze Building are demolished this week in preparation for a new North Quad residence hall. 

The Frieze Building was originally built as Ann Arbor High School 1907 at the corner of State and Huron streets in downtown. The University of Michigan bought the building in the 1950s for use as space for college classes. 

The University of Michigan Board of Regents approved its demolition to make room for the university's first new dorm in 40 years. Construction workers will be working on foundations for this summer and expect to finish them by this fall. The overall project is slated for completion in 2010.

The complex will have an academic tower facing Washington and State streets. That building will house the Department of Screen Arts and Cultures, the Department of Communication Studies, the Language Resource Center and the Sweetland Writing Center (all components of the College of Literature, Science, and the Arts) along with the School of Information.

The residence hall will face East Huron Street and offer two configurations. The first includes suites containing two double rooms, a living room and a bathroom. The second features arrangements of four single rooms sharing a bathroom. Each residence hall floor houses lounges. The building also will offer a community learning center with additional small group study areas.

Source: Diane Brown, senior information officer for facilities and operations at UofM
Writer: Jon Zemke

Enjoy this story? Sign up for free solutions-based reporting in your inbox each week.